When I was a child, my Grandma baked coconut cubes every Christmas. I continued this tradition, and cannot wait to share this heavenly recipe with you all. Some people make it from sponge cake, but my family loves it with honey cake, so I always make it that way.
Ingredients for the cake
400 gr plain white flour
280 gr sugar
50 gr butter
3 tablespoons of Raw Linden, Sunflower or Wildflower Honey
1 teaspoon of soda bicarbonate
20 gr vanilla sugar/3 dashes of vanilla essence
1 lemon’s zest
2 dl milk
Ingredients for the cream:
200 gr butter
50 gr unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tablespoon rum (or rum essence)
1 dl milk
200 gr brown sugar
250gr coconut flakes
1.To make the cake, mix the butter, sugar, vanilla sugar and the egg well in a large bowl, then add the honey and lemon zest. Mix thoroughly.
- In a smaller bowl, mix the flour with the baking soda and gently add it to the previous mix, stirring the batter constantly.
- Add the milk.
- Pour the batter into a 38x22cm or 35x25cm buttered and floured baking tray, smooth it and place in a pre-heated, 180°C oven and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- When the cake is ready and has cooled down, cut it into 4x4cm cubes.
- To prepare the outer cream, warm the milk slightly, melt the butter in it, then add the cocoa powder and sugar and mix until smooth. Add the rum or rum aroma and mix well. When the cream is done, set it aside for half an hour to make it slightly thicker so to be able to roll the cubes in it without the cream running off. With a fork, dip each cube into the cream for 8-10 seconds, making sure the cream covers the cube everywhere.
- Then I roll the cube in the shredded coconut. Once all done, put them in a cold place (even in the fridge) for 1-2 hours.